Welcome to Winefriend
Welcome to Winefriend, a website devoted to the wines of Piemonte, Italy and France. I’m David Way, wine writer and educator based in London and Hampshire in the UK. The following pages are my thoughts, experiences, and learnings as I’ve travelled far and wide to explore the world of wine to its fullest.
I’d love you to join me on my journey through these wonderful countries and regions and share my enjoyment of their fabulous wines. My current focus is Piemonte but this website covers many regions around the world.
My book on The Wines of Piemonte has been published by the Classic Wine Library. Barolo and Barbaresco are among the world’s greatest wines. But there is so much more to Piemonte:
- the emerging Nebbiolo wines of Alto Piemonte
- the rise and rise of Barbera
- sparkling wines, both Moscato and Chardonnay/Pinot Noir blends
- the regional white wines, Cortese, Arneis, Timorasso, Nascetta
- and all the fascinating local red varieties. There is so much to explore, so much to enjoy, so much to write about! For the latest update, click on the Diary below.
- This is the first book to cover all 60 denominations of the region in depth plus 200 producer profiles! You can buy the book here.
Follow the story at:
Andover Wine Friends
Back in Hampshire Janet and I run a friendly wine group which explores the world of wine: famous and less well-known regions, wine styles, grape varieties and more. We typically have one tasting and one fine wine supper each month, all at a reasonable price. You can see the current programme here. Newcomers are always welcome. If you are interested email me.